Sunday, January 13, 2008

Thank heaven for free airport wi-fi.

I'm sitting in the Kuala Lumpur International Airport, which rivals the Hong Kong airport in cleanliness, modernity, and distance from the city. I can't believe how long it took us to get to the airport from city center, and our cab driver was averaging 110km/hour.

Anyway, I'll write more if I have time but basically after a week in Singapore I hopped a coach bus bound for KL. We spend maybe 2/3 of the day exploring KL and buying gorgeous batiks by the armload. Though ironically I find myself preferring Javanese batik to the Malaysian ones here (I like the method of dyeing but none of the patterns have really jumped out at me). I dropped US $100 on an abstract batik painting by an up and coming artist that looks like something I would see at SFMoma. Better, I figure, than spending $5000 on a painting by an established artist. And I can even wash and iron this piece.

Everywhere I go there is curry, which is not good for a tummy recovering from another (less serious) bout of tummy issues. The traffic and city planny in KL is completely mad. The city is raw. But I kind of like it.

We're heading to Penang now... more later.

No comments: