Thursday, December 13, 2007

Elegy for a "Falafel Joint."

More LA news. Someone alerted me today that sister restaurants Noura (on La Cienega x Melrose) and Eat-a-Pita (Fairfax btw 3rd and Beverly) were both shut down recently. Noura, at least, has been turned into a upscale French restaurant that serves the best hamburger Jonathan Gold has ever tasted. This is small consolation for me though, because Noura and Eat-a-Pita used to serve, hands down, the best falafel and stuffed grape leaves I've ever had. I didn't even like stuffed grape leaves before I ate them at Noura--most places make them too sour, to squidgy, too small. Noura used this delectably fluffy risotto rice delicately marinated in spices, not too strong, and they were big and fat like babies. I can't believe Mr. Gold missed this, as his review of the new French place reduced Noura to nothing more than a "falafel joint."

me:
G! =(
me:
they shut down
me: they shut down
G: who!?
me: they shut my favorite falafel restaurrrrrannnnnnt
G: oh where
me: it had the best
me: falafel
G: in beijing?
G: in LA?
me: and stuffed grape leaves
me: i ever hadddddddd
G: aw
me: in LA
G: i hate falafel, but i'm sorry for your loss
me: you hate falafel because you never had it from this place
me: apparently they replaced it with a french place that serves the best cheeseburger jonathan gold has ever had
G: oh nice, lets go there
G: awesome
me: did you know
me: did you know that meat rots in your tummy for TWO DAYS before your body can digest it
G: wow
G: thats awesome.
me: um ok
G: i love meat.
me: i love you.
G: lol i love you too

Unfortunately the shawerma there was not great, and same went for the grilled chicken. But beyond the food, I remember both restaurants for their unique and cozy atmospheres. I had many an industry dinner and drinks on the back patio at Noura, around the super cool fire pits where blue fire snaked across intricate designs carved into the sand. So nice on a warm summer night.

And Eat-a-Pita was the sort of place so covered in ivy that you'd totally miss it if you didn't know what you were looking for. Going through a wrought-iron gate you'd find yourself in this peaceful little shell of a covered brick courtyard, with a charming little fountain in the middle, plants everywhere, and the murmur of relaxed and happy diners.

And now they're gonnnnnnnneeeeeeee. Where o where will I find my stuffed grape leaves now?

No comments: