Sunday, November 11, 2007

"Food is in China, Flavor is in Sichuan"

(Clockwise from top) Marinated port short-ribs, sauteed julienned potatoes, spicy chicken.

"You are so lady today!" That is what a told me the other day, when I walked up in a kneelength, fishnets, and the only pair of non-frumpy shoes I brought with me to Beijing. I took it as a compliment =D.

We went to this newly remodeled Sichuan restaurant in Wudaokou. Yumm. Refrained from ordering the most mouth-numbingly spicy dishes, but there was still liberal use of this strange spice I'd never encountered before in my life: huajiao, or "flower pepper." Named as such because it looks like a tiny flower. I don't really like it, I decided, because it kind of numbs your membranes. Anyway, here's a pretty traditional Sichuan dish that comes in a gigantic basin (this picture doesn't do it justice) filled with oil, not soup as I originally thought! Submerged in the oil is a whole, tender, delicious fish, bean sprouts, chilis, and other tasty things.

And some other side dishes: leafy greens and sauteed lettuce hearts garnished with 1000-year-old eggs.

One happy bunch:

No comments: